Friday, February 11, 2011

F.W. Guerin


This lovely portrait is by the American portrait photographer F.W. Guerin, of St. Louis, c. 1899.


I dug around to find out a bit about him, and came up with his business card. Pretty fancy!





A couple more from Mr. Fitz:

























This last image reminds me again of how photographers of the past -- many of them now rendered anonymous -- were incredible artisans of light and form.

The lack of craft and thought in portrait photography today is pandemic, and it is unfortunately on display almost everywhere you look. I have a B&W portrait of myself and my sister that was made at an Olan Mills studio sometime around 1970. The quality of lighting, printing and expression in this tiny little photograph is utterly perfect, and would shame most "professional" photographers today. From Olan Mills, I tell ya! 

If you'd like to see more of F.W. Guerin's work, you can hit the Library of Congress Photography Archive and search his name.

Sometimes looking backward is the best way of looking forward.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a photo taken of my great great grandmother from Madisonville, Kentucky taken in 1890 in St. Louis by F.W. Guerin. It is not in very good condition as these photos are.